The lesson - SAME DENOMINATORS
Prior to this lesson students will need to
- have been introduced to adding fractions with the same denominator
1) Have some task cards with various subtraction equations of fractions on them
2) Have the montessori fraction pieces (the box of different pieces works best)
3) Place 7/8 in a frame. Check the students know you have put in eighths. Then remove two eighths Present the equation. Ask: 'How many eighths are left?' Write the answer.
Have students record and if the presentation is given in a group explain to their partner what to do to solve an equation like this
5) Repeat using fraction equations and have students write answers into their book
The lesson - UNLIKE DENOMINATORS
Prior to this lesson students would
- be very confident with equivalent fractions
1) Get out 4/6. Get out 1/3. Write the equation 4/6 - 1/3
2) Discuss how the denominators are different. Ask if anyone knows how we can subtract these two numbers. Prompt students about equivalent fractions. If needed show how 1/3 covers 2/6 this must mean it is equivalent
3) Say the question could be rephrased as 4/6 subtract 2/6
4) The answer is 2/6.
5) Have students record and if the presentation is given in a group explain to their partner what to do to solve an equation like this
6) Use the subtraction of fraction tickets and do more questions.
The Lesson - CHANGING BOTH DENOMINATORS
1) Record the question 1/2 - 2/5
2) Get out the fraction circles. Discuss how like other questions the child has done these fractions have different denominators. What have we done before in this case?
3) Ask if we can change the 1/2 into fifths (No) Can we change the 2/5 into halves (No)
4) We will have to change both of the fractions. Ask the students if they know a common multiple of 2 and 5 (10) Lets turn all of the fractions into this equation into tenths.
5) 1/2 is how many tenths? (5) 2/5 are how many tenths (4)
6) 5/10 - 4/10 is 1/10
7) Have students record and if the presentation is given in a group explain to their partner what to do to solve an equation like this
8) Use the subtraction of fraction tickets to solve more questions.
Easy peasy ready to use subtraction of fraction tickets to use when teaching
Make sure to also check out
Teaching Improper fractions with Montessori
Teaching fractions with the Montessori stamp game
Adding fractions with Montessori
Interested in More Montessori Curriculum resources? Find them here
You can join my mailing list to get more montessori resources, notifications of new products and news here