You will need
- A Black pen, light blue pen, dark blue pen and a red pen
- Small cut up pieces of paper
- A prewritten caption that says 'verb'
- The verb sphere symbol or a ball that is red
- A selection of objects
Key Experiences are ways of sparking the imagination of the child. They are given to new or younger children or as ways to bring life back to a curriculum area.
1) Gather students
2) Say: 'Today we are going to learn about some types of words. We have already learned about articles, nouns and adjectives. Can you remind me what they are?'
3) Today we are going to do a language activity with this. Present the sphere or red ball. Ask what it looks like (a ball)
4) Say: 'What can you do with a ball' (throw, pass, roll, dribble, kick)
5) Say:' All those things you just said involve energy. You know this ball is red. A bit like how the sun which is a big sphere gives energy to earth. Those words you told me about the ball are called verbs. Verbs are energy or action words. Present the piece of paper that says verb.
6) Gently roll the sphere, wait for it to stop. Say: 'You know what is interesting, you can't see the verbs once they have been done. Hold the ball/sphere. Say 'we don't know that this ball just rolled.' The ball is matter and it was moved by the energy or the action.
7) Place the noun family symbols in front of you. Roll the ball around them. Say 'the verb brings energy to all of these words'
The cover photo with the description of a verb can be downloaded as part of this set