Let's continue to look at the Montessori Decimal board. I am a bit fluid in terms of how I give the lessons and obviously adapt to my students. Some of the previous lessons which you can see here could be merged with these ones if needed.
The Lesson - Introduction 4
Have the Yellow Decimal Board out along with the fraction strip so student can see how 0.1 compares to 1/10.
1) The teacher gives a student a quantity and has the student select the disks and places it on the board
2) Dependent on the student you may wish to write what you have made on a piece of paper so the student can see what the words look like to go with the quantity (see picture above). Continue with other single numbers e.g 6 hundredths, 9 thousandths.
3) Students can now do this activity with a peer.
The Lesson - Introduction 5 Exchanging
1) Select an amount bigger than ten e.g. twelve tenths. Ask the student to make the number - again you may wish to write down what the student has made.
2) Go over with the student what happens when we get 10 or more in a column - we have to exchange.
3) Demonstrate the exchange. Again you may wish to write down what you have made in words.
For the first part in this series click here